Wednesday 18 March 2009

Cervical Cancer Awarness


I watched an interview earlier on ‘This Morning’ about a mother and father appealing for women to have access to smear tests from the age of 18 rather than 25. Their daughter, Claire Walker had died of cervical cancer at the age of 23 as a result of the fact that she was four years too young at the time to be considered for a screening. During the interview, it emerged that a woman has the right to ask for a smear test under the age of 25 if they so wish. However, once the doctor has sent off the tests, those analysing the results simply look at the patient’s date of birth, and if she is under 25, they throw the results away. How many women have died unnecessarily as a result of this? It’s disgusting that not even our doctors are concerned about our health anymore; we are just another statistic. Why should somebody have to wait until the age of 25 to find out they are going to die, if they have even lived that long?
I have never been for a smear test (as I am not over 25) and I am dreading that day that I have to go for one. But I know that if something made me concerned for my health, despite my age, I would expect to be able to find out straight away; not until it is so far developed that there is no hope. Is that wrong?


1 comment:

  1. I actually can’t believe that they just throw the results away without testing them. The bright sparks that made it through medical school obviously can’t comprehend that cervical cancer, while the percentages are lower in the young, can affect anyone. You would have thought they would have had at least one lecture on it but maybe they were sick that day. Either way I think that waiting until the age of 25 to have your first smear test is a bit risky, especially after Jade Goody’s plight highlighting the need for them. I think smear tests should be made available to women within their first year or two of sexual activity. What gets me even more is that 12 year old girls are being offered a way of avoiding this illness and are moaning about side effects. I’m sorry but I don’t mind being sick for a couple of hours if it prevents me from developing cervical cancer, get a grip!

    ReplyDelete