Saturday 25 April 2009

Peer Pressure


I was sitting on the tram earlier and was casually eavesdropping on a group of teenagers talking. They didn’t look much over the age of 15, and the two girls there were pretty and slim. Then they pulled out a packet of slimming pills which they had bought and split between them. I couldn’t help but to just carry on and stare at them in amazement- there was just no way whatsoever that either of them needed to lose weight. My guess for the main cause of this is peer pressure. Why does there have to be so much emphasis on people to be thin and beautiful? If I want to diet, I do it for me, not because I want to look like Beyonce (I’m not completely delusional!) or because everybody else wants me to.
I’m not saying that people should want to be fat, but they should be able to be happy with their selves whatever shape or size. Peer pressure, which the media is largely responsible for, is giving girls (and guys) like those I saw today a complex, which will then turn into anorexia, and then god knows where after that. Is that really what our society wants to promote? Is it worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment